Brain-boosting food is great for maintaining energy levels and improving concentration. These delicious pap patties could help your child ace their exams.
- 4 cups water
- 5 cups mealie meal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- oil, for frying
- 1 cup shredded leftover meat of your choice
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic and ginger paste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (or two slices of toasted brown bread, finely grated)
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- basil (or other herbs), for garnishing (optional)
- Bring water to a boil over a high heat. Whisk in mealie meal, a little at a time, until smooth. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir again and simmer for another 20 minutes, until cooked.
- Fry onion and green pepper in oil in a frying pan. Add ginger and garlic paste, then let simmer.
- Add meat and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Let cool before shaping into 15 medium-sized balls. Flatten with your hand.
- Dip patties into egg, dust with breadcrumbs and fry for two minutes on each side until golden-brown all over.
- You can garnish the patties with basil or herbs of your choice.
Read more: Sweetcorn and cheese muffins.
Reecipe and images: Bathandwa Nkambule.